Hello hello! So what has been happening in Karen-land?
1) My kids. Ok. Wow. We are not friends. They are the worst. Seriously, how many times do I have to tell them to do something? How hard is it to do their daily jobs? Why do they have to leave a trail of crap lying around EVERYWHERE!! Why can’t they pick up after themselves?? Nag nag nag scold scold scold punish punish punish. That is my life.
I love them and all that, but they also give me the shits.
2) Work is intense! I’m on the verge of losing my shit. Not quite there yet though. I’m going away on holiday for 4 weeks in July and I’ve been trying to fit 3 months of work (May, June, June) into 1 month (May). It’s the end of the month now. I couldn’t do it. The kids head off to school around 8 – 8:30am. I jump on the computer. Then suddenly 6 hours are gone. My desk is littered with 3 empty cups of coffee, empty snack bowls, papers, pens, cameras, SD cards everywhere! It’s 2:30pm and I have to pick up my youngest from school and switch back into mum-mode. There are just not enough hours in a day.
Actually, to be honest, I probably could have done it if I neglected the other ares of my life! I still made time for exercise, cooking meals for my family, home chores, hanging out with my kids, having coffee with my sister and girlfriends, and date night with my husband. I have to keep my sanity!
3) My grandma is sick. Despite my busy schedule, my mountain of work, my long list of things to do, and this tight grip of anxiety in my chest… I’ve been popping into hospital to visit my sick grandma. She’s 97. Over the last 10 years, she’s had heart surgery, a broken hip, problems with her kidneys and other things, but she always bounced right back. I’m in awe at her strength and good spirits.
Sitting next to her, holding her hand, feeding her spoonfuls of water, helping her change position in bed, marvelling at the 97 years of her life, humbled by the loooong queue of people coming to visit her… all my anxieties melt away and what is really important in life becomes crystal clear: human contact, connections with people, family and friends, healthy relationships, smiles, laughter and being easy-going, kind and gracious (like my grandma!).
4) My inbox. This morning I woke up to see that my inbox had clocked over 2,000 unopened emails. It was the last straw. One hour later, there were ZERO unopened emails. I know. I am amazing. However, there are about 900 flagged emails that I have to work through, gulp.
5) My skin! Oh my gosh! I’ve had a few non-invasive treatments called Collagen Induction Therapy (or Skin Needling) and my skin is looking so radiant at the moment. So much of my pigmentation is gone. Can wait to share the before and after photos!
6) Rooibos. I am trying oh-so hard to cut back on my caffeine. I could easily drink 4-5 cups of coffee each day. My main problem is that I want to drink something warm and milky (soy or almond milk) all the time. So I’ve discovered the joys of Rooibos + Vanilla Tea… which tastes like a mild chai tea, and it’s a pretty good substitute for now.
7) Uggs. I bought myself a pair of Ugg Boots for the first time in 10 years. How did I EVER live without them? They are not the official Ugg boots (which cost $220). They were just fur lined boots from Target. They are soooo warm, soooo snuggly and soooo comfy, that I shed a little tear when I have to take them off to pick up the kids from school. One day. I can feel it coming. One day, I will go “Stuff It” and wear my Ugg boots to school pick up.
8) My taste in music. Quite frankly, it’s embarrassing. You’d think that with my affinity for classic literature, I’d have a broad and quirky taste in music. Nope. My boys and I are addicted to Spotify and the Global Top 50 Charts…. and I am seriously crushing Harry Styles right now. I like Drake, The Weeknd, Kendrick Lamar, The Chainsmokers, the new song by Charlie Puth, Shawn Mendes, Niall Horan (how good is his new song?!), Hailee Seinfeld, Selena Gomez… omg I even like Justin Bieber.
I have the same music taste as my 8 year old – HAHA!
(Except he likes Ed Sheeran and I don’t.)
9) Behind the times. So my husband and I watched the very first episode of “Breaking Bad” the other day. It was great! It was first aired in 2008, so we’re only 9 years behind the times.
10) More on music. Ok you know what? I do like my 90s old school rap, hiphop, R&B, grunge, electronic music, …Radiohead, Beastie Boys, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Prodigy, Massive Attack, Chemical Brothers, Metallica, The Smashing Pumpkins, 50 Cent, TLC, Blackstreet, Lauryn Hill… and all the classic hip hop pop tunes!
My music taste isn’t thaaaaaat bad, right?!
We were supposed to test out our camping equipment this weekend, but we postponed it to next weekend. I feel like I’ve been gifted an extra week of prep!
Wishing you all a lovely weekend!