I’ve made this chocolate cake many times before; it’s flour free and gluten free.
It is simply amazing, moist, dense like a brownie, but it still has a soft, cakey texture.
This time I threw in some walnuts and raspberries (the last crumbly bits at the bottom of the freezer bag!) and I served it up as dessert at a dinner party we hosted.
The raspberries and walnuts made it just divine!
(This is what the inside of the cake looks like.)
Chocolate and Raspberry Cake
100g unsalted butter
140g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
70g of brown sugar
3 eggs separated
140g of almond meal
1/2 cup of walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup of frozen raspberries, defrosted slightly and separated
vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
2. Slowly melt chocolate, butter and brown sugar, until smooth. Then let it cool for 5 minutes.
(You can melt it in a bowl over hot water, or melt it in the microwave. I just melt them in a small pot on the stove, on VERY low heat!)
3. Whisk the egg whites until you can make firm peaks when you lift the whisk up.
4. Add the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture, then stir in the almond meal and walnuts. Mix until well combined.
5. Fold in the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, until well combined. Pour into cake tin. Sprinkle the raspberries evenly over the top.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until your skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for another 10 minutes. Turn the cake onto a plate to cool completely.
7. Add toppings and serve immediately!