Um, the other day I was craving to eat chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
So I had a crazy idea that I would make some chocolate coconut granola to eat the next morning?!
I found a recipe online, I modified it a lot to suit my tastes – and HOLY CRAP it is AMAZING. It is like eating chocolate crackles!!
The only sweetener I used was maple syrup, and I didn’t use very much.
I think it’s healthy! I think I’ll use raw cacao powder next time.
Chocolate Coconut Granola
4 cups of rolled oats
1 cup of desiccated coconut
2 cups of mixed seeds* and sultanas (pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, etc)
1 cup of almonds, roughly chopped in a food processor
1 cup of cashews, roughly chopped in a food processor
2/3 cup of coconut oil
2/3 cup of cocoa powder
1/3 cup of maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla essence
(Makes about 9 cups of granola.)
* I buy a packet of mixed grains called “Pura Veda” and it has buckwheat, sunflower kernels, raisins, sesame seeds, millet, pumpkin seeds, linseed, poppy seeds, chia seeds, amaranth. It’s pretty expensive!
1. Pre-heat oven to 130C. Line 4 baking trays with baking paper.
2. Put coconut oil, cocoa powder, maple syrup and vanilla essence in a small saucepan and stir slowly over low heat until smooth.
3. Mix the oats, coconut, seeds, almonds and cashews in large bowl. Pour in the chocolate mixture in and stir until all the dry ingredients are well coated.
4. Divide the mixture up onto the 4 baking trays. And bake for 45 minutes. Then turn off the oven and leave the granola in the hot oven for another 30 minutes.
6. Take the pans out of the oven and without stirring the granola, let it cool completely in the pan. It will harden and crisp up as it cools.
7. Store in a large, air tight container and enjoy for breakfast, snacks and dessert (served with ice cream YEAH!)