I am so in LOVE with this chocolate cake recipe! I’ve made it before, in this blog post, Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake.
I don’t use flour. I use almond meal instead.
I also have been experimenting with the recipe by using less and less sugar each time. I’m down to 70g of sugar, it still tastes amazing and it’s still a winner every time I make it (original recipe asked for 100g).
In this picture, I served it with homemade ice cream, mixed berries and roasted pistachios.
OMG soooo yummy!
100g unsalted butter
140g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
70g of brown sugar
3 eggs separated
140g of almond meal
vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
2. Slowly melt chocolate, butter and brown sugar, until smooth. Then let it cool for 5 minutes.
(You can melt it in a bowl over hot water, or melt it in the microwave. I just melt them in a small pot on the stove, on VERY low heat!)
3. Whisk the egg whites until you can make firm peaks when you lift the whisk up.
4. Add the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture, then stir in the almond meal. Mix until well combined.
5. Fold in the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, until well combined. Pour into cake tin.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until your skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin for another 10 minutes. Turn the cake onto a plate to cool completely.
7. Add toppings and serve immediately!