One day I came home after my 6am cycle and I found a few things that made me want to cry – with joy.
1) My husband made banana pancakes for breakfast. There was a massive, freshly-made one sitting on the kitchen counter top, just for me.
2) He also made me a cup of tea, 15 minutes ago, so by the time I returned it was at the *perfect* temperature for me to slam it down fast. Just how I like it.
3) My 6 year old drew a picture and my 2 year old coloured it in (the bridge is pink!). Yes it’s me on a bike, riding on a bridge, over the river. And maybe a shark?
Had coffee with a girlfriend in the leafy suburb of Applecross last week. It was a beautiful day for sitting outside, under the jacaranda trees, sipping fine coffee and catching up on 20 years of friendship. I wore bright blue jeans.
We were in Ikea the other day, eating their famous Swedish meatballs. I LOVE Swedish meatballs. But my kids do not.
Boy – Tastes like dog meat.
Me – Umm, you haven’t eaten dog meat before.
Boy – Yes I have.
Me – No you haven’t
Boy – YES I HAVE!
Me – WHERE HAVE YOU EATEN DOG MEAT??
Boy – Mum. I eat dog meat all the time!
Me – NO YOU HAVEN’T!!
Boy – YOU’VE EATEN IT! AND EVEN DAD!! WHAT’S THE BIG DEAL?!?!
Me – What are you talking about?!?!
Boy – HOT DOGS MUM!! WE EAT IT ALL THE TIME!! UGH!!
(And the kid had the audacity to roll his eyes at me in that teenager-ish way!!)
We went to a bowling party, and my 8yo son played one of those CLAW GRABBING ARCADE GAMES.
You know, the ones that we always say, “No you can’t play that. Don’t waste your money. It’s too hard. You’ll never win anything. $2 for one try? It’s like flushing money down the toilet. Imagine what else you can buy with all that money. Those things are designed so no one can win. No one ever wins from playing them.”
But my kid won – not one – but TWO large Angry Bird toys!
OMG my boy is a genius!
While I was SOOOO thrilled for him, like, on the verge of worshiping how cool and clever he was, I was very aware that…
1) All the other boys at the party were already worshiping him (and were insanely jealous).
2) I’ll never be able to warn him, or his siblings, off those Claw Games again. Crap.
Vegetarian meal for this week – Pumpkin, Chickpea and Lentil curry. It was absolutely delicious!!