Whenever I make my own pizzas, I have always used bought, pre-made pizza bases or used wholemeal pita breads.
But after I learned how to make a professional pizza, I’ve decided it was so easy to make my own bases, that I was converted.
This is a nice simple pizza dough recipe I found and modified.
Pizza Dough Recipe
Makes 2 medium pizzas
8g of yeast (or 2 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon of caster sugar
½ teaspoon of salt
2 cups of plain flour
2 tablespoons of olive oil
180ml (or ¾ cups) of warm water
1. Mix the warm water, yeast, sugar and salt into a bowl. Stir well with a fork. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 5 minutes, preferably in a warm place.
2. Sift flour into the same bowl. Add oil and mix well with a spoon to form a dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 7 – 10 or so minutes.
3. Place the ball of dough into an oiled bowl (if you’re lazy like me, just oil the same bowl). Cover with plastic wrap again and cover again with a tea towel. Put the bowl in a warm place and leave for 30 minutes.
4. Uncover the bowl, the ball off dough should be doubled in size. Give the dough a punch, and knead on a lightly floured surface.
5. Halve the ball of dough, and roll out to make 2 pizza bases.
6. Spread tomato paste on the base, making sure you leave a 1.5cm clean edge.
7. Cook in a 200°C oven for 10 – 15 minutes, until crust is golden brown.