How it works – At the beginning of the week, he tells me what he wants to cook for dinner. I buy the ingredients, and on a designated day, we make it together (or I help him make it). Quite simple.
It’s been going really well. He actually likes hanging out with me in the kitchen.
This week he wanted to make: Mushroom Soup. I have no idea where he got the idea that mushroom soup might be tasty. But I decided to just go with it.
Homemade Mushroom Soup
400g of button mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
60g of butter
1 medium onion, chopped finely
1 small garlic clove, chopped finely
1.5L of homemade chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1) Gently cook onion and garlic in butter, until brown. About 10 minutes.
2) Add mushrooms, stir for 10-15 minutes.
3) Add chicken stock. Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
4) Stir in the cream.
5) Use a hand blender (or food processor) to blend the soup into a smooth consistency.
6) Done! Eat hot with crusty bread.
Even though my son was supposed to cook, I actually did a bit more work with this recipe. I chopped the onions, because they made his eyes hurt. And I used the hand blender to blend up the soup, because it was really hot and splashy!
We made fresh wholemeal spelt + seed loaf to eat with the soup.
Overall, it was a simple meal, it was very easy to make and my goodness, it was SO DELICIOUS! We had none left at the end!