day of week

Hello. I’m Not On Holiday.

24 July 2006

Last Wednesday, I had a crazy day. My in-laws, who were staying with us, were leaving. I had a zillion errands to run and things to do before we left for our trip. And I had to tidy the house for our house-sitter.

Late in the afternoon, after all my errands, I stopped by the shops to pick up some food for dinner. My husband was working back late, so it was just me and the two boys tonight. I bought three yummy chicken kebabs from the oh-so popular local poultry shop.

Dinnertime. The kids didn’t touch them. They ate their rice. Their lettuce, tomatoes, snow peas and capsicums! But not the chicken! So I sat back and feasted on all three. Yummy tasty chicken.

That night as I went to bed, I felt… cold. So. Cold.

The next morning I felt fine. My husband went to work. I kept the kids entertained. I set about cleaning the house. I planned a list of things to pack for our holiday. I planned a shopping list of things the house-sitter might need. Food for the trip. Clothes to wash. Floors to mop. People to call. Etc etc. But as the afternoon approached, it all went down hill.

I was sick. I couldn’t think straight, act straight, or talk coherently.

And it was only until the boys were fighting and shouting so badly in the garden, some part of my brain thought it was a good idea to give the boys a new activity – full reign of the craft box – in the nice clean house, so I could crawl into my bed for a few moments of peace from the nuclear bombs going off in my head… and then I even found myself shouting (moaning, actually) warnings and instructions from under the blankets as I heard the crying and fighting again…

“Make sure you guys play nicely…”
“Callum share the pencils…”
“Hey… stop all that fighting and shouting…”
“Sean don’t eat the glue…”

“Callum can you climb up onto the kitchen counter and bring me the telephone handset?”

He did. I called my parents. Thank GOD for my parents. They were over in 15 minutes. I think. They must’ve arrived, assessed the situation, packed a few things and took the kids away. Because I kinda blacked out and awoke 3 hours later. Awake! Vomitting! Food poisoning! That damn chicken!

I stumbled into the lounge room. Mess everywhere! A tornado or paper, confetti, macaroni, matchsticks, glitter glues and pencils. Dishes unwashed. Clothes strewn everywhere. Chairs upturned. I don’t know why I even cared. I must’ve been really sick. But I cleaned. Oh I cleaned like my life depended on it. I even scrubbed 2 day old spaghetti stains off the tile grout in the kitchen.

Then I put clean sheets on the visitor’s bed, and sat on the couch.

At that moment my husband came home from work. Two minutes later, our friend the house-sitter arrived.

I exchanged a few pleasant words. Then I excused myself and crawled back into bed. Where I stayed for the next 3 days.

I was really sick.