I watched the fairly entertaining program, My Favourite Book on the ABC last night. Apparently the nation voted that our favourite top 10 books to be :
1. The Lord Of The Rings* – J.R.R. Tolkien
2. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
3. The Bible* – Various Contributors
4. To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
5. Cloudstreet* – Tim Winton
6. Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (Book 5) – J.K. Rowling
7. Nineteen Eighty-Four – George Orwell
8. The Hitch Hiker’s Guide To The Galaxy* – Douglas Adams
9(draw). The Da Vinci Code* – Dan Brown
9(draw). Catch 22 – Joseph Heller
10. A Fortunate Life – A.B. Facey
Oooh I’ve read half of them! (The ones marked with a *)
Most of them are such classics and I’m a little embarrassed that I haven’t read the others. In particular To Kill a Mocking Bird and Catch 22. My husband even has them on his book shelf! So I might bump them up my to-read list. Heh. However… I’ll probably give Harry Potter a miss.
The Top 100 list is a pretty interesting browse too.